Try this tasty recipe next time it’s your turn to host lunch. These pita pockets are full of flavour and crunch but light on fat and calories.
Makes: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup unflavoured, nonfat yoghurt
- 3 T. low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 T. curry powder
- 500 g cooked chicken breast, cubed
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 4 halved pita bread pockets
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Mix together the yoghurt, low-fat mayonnaise and curry powder in a large bowl.
- Stir in the cooked chicken, apple, celery, cranberries and almonds.
- Fill each pita half with 250 g of the chicken mixture; cap with a mound of alfalfa sprouts.
An easy way to cook a skinless, boneless chicken breast is to poach it in a saucepan with enough chicken broth to cover it. Bring the broth to a boil, and then put the lid on the pan. Turn down the heat, and let it simmer until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, approximately 15 minutes.
Toast the almond slivers in a dry, nonstick pan over medium heat. Stir constantly to prevent scorching. This should take about 4 minutes.
- 323 calories per serving of 2 pita halves
- 27 g protein
- 7 g fat